Tulsa Attorney BlogThe Gospel Behind Oklahoma Immigration Enforcement and Waivers of Inadmissibility

Immigration Cases are a Passion for Attorney Ted Hasse

Video Transcribed: What’s going on with immigration enforcement in Oklahoma and in Tulsa. I’m an immigration attorney Ted Hasse at Wirth Law OfficeImmigration is a passion for me. It’s something I like to be helping clients on.

And I’ve been posting recently about the ICE detention center in Okmulgee and always glad to help people who are facing ICE detention down there. However, today I wanted to talk about something else going on in Oklahoma, at least something I’m seeing right outside my front door.

In Tulsa, we’re getting a whole lot more calls about people on ICE detention. Now, that isn’t to say with certainty that something has changed with regards to enforcement, but in times like this where suddenly we’re getting a whole lot of calls about people on ICE holds in Tulsa County Jail. Sometimes that can mean that there is some enforcement activity that’s unusual.

So I want to take this opportunity to make a couple points. Of course, if you’re facing a ICE hold, you want to reach out and you want to find an immigration lawyer that can help you.

Now, if you are in a place where you are seeking to get your status sorted out and you’re not currently in detention, you’re not currently having issues, there are things you can do. One of the ways that we’re able to help people here is some folks are in a situation where they have maybe a spouse, maybe a family member who is a US citizen, could potentially sponsor them for immigration status.

But they don’t know what the next steps are or they are often under the impression that in all cases they’re going to immediately have to leave the country and go through the consular embassy process from their home country.

Want to talk about an option for people in that position, people who are undocumented right now or have overstayed visas and are looking for a pathway to get things right. There is a issue with those people. If you’ve been here for more than one year, you may be inadmissible to the United States for 10 years.

However, you can get an answer while you’re still in the United States with your loved ones, your spouse or whoever you’re with. You can file a I-601A Waiver of Inadmissibility and get an answer from the US Government, USCIS, about whether or not they’re willing to waive that inadmissibility you have from having been here for quite a while with undocumented status, something we help people with all the time.

It’s one of the areas that you particularly need a lawyer because there are arguments to be made and there is an opportunity for advocacy where it’s not just a situation of filling out forms. So if you have questions, if you need help, give us call, 918-879-1681.

"Make law easy!"