Tulsa Attorney BlogAdvanced Age Parole: Who Qualifies Under Oklahoma Law?

Contact an Experienced Attorney When Assistance Needed

Video Transcribed:  Advanced age parole. Who is eligible for it under Oklahoma law? I’m Local attorney James Wirth and we’re about to talk about advanced age parole. All right, so Oklahoma has a parole process and there’s the general rules and there’s a couple categories that have special rules.

One of those is medical or compassionate release, and the other one is advanced age release. To qualify for being considered for advanced age release, you must have served at least 10 years of your sentence and be at least 60 years old, or served, if you haven’t served 10 years of sentence, served at least one third the length of your sentence. Under those two requirements, if you meet that and your offense is not certain violent offenses or sex offenses, then you could be eligible for advanced age release.

When you want to request that, you can file a motion, it’s automatically put on the next available pardon and parole board hearing. At that hearing, your file can be reviewed and they can vote on whether you meet the requirements and whether you should be granted advanced age parole.

If so, and it’s a nonviolent offense, then it can be granted by the pardon parole board by a majority vote of at least three of the five on the board. If it is a certain violent offense that may be eligible for the advanced age parole, it has to go further.

It has to get a favorable vote of at least three of five on the pardon parole board, and then go to the governor’s office and be granted there. As far as the rest of it, if it’s denied and how to handle it from there, it’s handled the same as regular parole, but the qualifications for advanced age is just that 60 years old, served at least 10 years, or a third of your sentence.

If you know somebody under those circumstances you’re trying to help out, have some questions regarding eligibility or whether it’s worthwhile to file, you probably want to talk to an attorney about that. If you want to talk to somebody at my office, go to MakeLawEasy.com.

"Make law easy!"