Tulsa Attorney BlogCan I Get a Name Change in My Oklahoma Divorce?

You Can Do a Name Change in a Divorce, but There Are Some Limitations

Video Transcribed:  Can I get my name changed in an Oklahoma divorce? I’m Tulsa Attorney James Wirth. I’m answering frequently asked divorce questions, and that’s the question, is can you get a name change in a divorce?

The answer, most of the time, is yes. You can do a name change in a divorce, but there are some limitations. One, you had to have changed your name as part of the marriage.

If so, whether you are the wife or the husband, you can go back not only to your prior name directly prior to the marriage, but you can also go back to another previous name, so long as you changed your name at the time you got married.

So yes, in a divorce you can request restoration of a prior name in a divorce proceeding, and that can be granted along with all the other relief in the divorce proceeding.

However, if you want your name changed to something that is not a former name, or if you didn’t get your name changed when you got married and want a name change, you can’t do that inside the divorce, but you can file a separate petition for a name change under Oklahoma law.

If you’ve got questions about that, how to do a name change inside a divorce or outside of divorce, talk to an attorney about your specific circumstances. To talk to a Tulsa Divorce attorney at my office, go to makelaweasy.com.

"Make law easy!"