Tulsa Attorney BlogHow Do I Request IDAP After a DUI Arrest in Oklahoma?

Make the Request in Writing

Video Transcribed: How do I request IDAP after a DUI arrest in Oklahoma? I’m Tulsa DUI attorney James Wirth and we’re talking about the Impaired Driver Accountability Program that helps you maintain driving privileges after a DUI or APC arrest. How do you make that request?

Once you’ve looked at the pros and cons of that program if you’ve decided to complete that, how do you do that? Well, first off, the deadline for making the request to get into that program is 30 days from the notification of revocation of your driver’s license. If you don’t get it in during that time period, then once that 30 days expires, you are revoked, you cannot drive without violating a law at that point.

So you want to make sure you put in your request timely. So how do you put in that request? Well, you can make the request in writing, needs to be, and you can either drop it off at DPS, Department of Public Safety headquarters, or you can mail it to the headquarters of the Department of Public Safety, or as we like to do, you can email it.

Oklahoma DUI attorneyAnd the proper email address for that is idap@dps.ok.gov. So that’s idap@dps.ok.gov. Get that emailed in plenty of time to make sure that they receive it within that timeline. If you have any concerns about it, I’d say better safe than, sorry. You might go ahead and mail that request in as well.

Now that request is going to have to have a number of things in it. At this point, there is not a standardized form that tells you what you need to put on there, so these are the things that you want. You’re going to want to have information regarding your arrest.

So it’s best to be as explicit as possible, location of the arrest, who was the arresting agency if you’ve got that person’s name. You’re definitely going to want your date of birth, full legal name, or the legal name that they have at the time that you were arrested, driver’s license number. Get that information on there and then you email that in, mail it in, drop it off the Department of Public Safety headquarters and that’s how you make that request.

Once that is received, they’re going to send out a notification of receipt and advise there are certain things that you need to do within about a 45 day period, including paying a $250 fee, get an interlock device installed, get proof of that back.

If you’ve got questions about any of that process, you’re probably going to want to talk to an attorney about that, that you may also have a DUI case pending or APC case pending. You’re definitely going to want to talk to an attorney about that. To get something scheduled with an attorney at my office, you can go online to makelaweasy.com.

"Make law easy!"