Tulsa Attorney BlogDoes Having Other Children in the Home Effect Child Support in Oklahoma?

Having Other Child in the Home Allows for Deductions

Video Transcribed: Does having other children affect my child support in Oklahoma? I’m Oklahoma Lawyer James Wirth, and that’s the question that we have as part of this series related to the Oklahoma child support guidelines, and generally speaking child support in Oklahoma.

attorney in OklahomaAnd this like many of the other ones, the question is answered by the statute. It’s in the guidelines, which can be found in Title 43, Section 118C, and that deals with other children. And there are multiple types. There used to be essential, there’d be four types.

We’ve got kids that reside in the home with you, kids that reside out of the home with somebody else that you’re maybe paying child support on. And then for each of those categories, you have prior born children and subsequently born children.

Previously, not even that long ago, the statute did not allow subsequently born children to have any effect on the child support order on the prior born children. However, that has been amended. And now prior-born children are treated the same as subsequently-born children in determining child support.

So if you have other children that are residing with you, then you are going to be eligible for a deduction from your gross income in determining child support on the children before the court at that time.

If you have children that reside with somebody else that you’re paying child support on and have consistently done so over the last 12-plus months and can demonstrate those payments, then that amount averaged out can be deducted from your gross income for determining child support on the children before the court.

And I’ve got some more specifics on that’s going to be in subsequent videos. But for now, if you have any more questions about child support in Oklahoma, you’re going to want to talk to an attorney about that confidentially privately to get specific information relative to your circumstances. To get that scheduled with somebody at my office, you can go online to makelaweasy.com.

"Make law easy!"