Tulsa Attorney BlogOklahoma Law: Can the Custodial Parent Move if There Is a Child Custody Order in Place?

Navigate the Process with Ease


Oklahoma child custody attorneyVideo Transcribed: Can the custodial parent move if there’s a child custody order in place? My name is Jason Sorensen. I’m an attorney in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and today we’re going to be talking about whether parents can move after they have a child custody order.

Well, generally, you can move as long as it’s either within 75 miles of your current residence or if you’re just leaving for 60 days or less. But if it’s farther than 75 miles or longer than 60 days, you would need to provide notice to every other person who is entitled to custody or visitation rights. And then there are some requirements with that notice as well.

The notice has to be by mail, and it has to be at least 60 days before the date of the intended relocation. And then that notice also needs to include your mailing address, your home telephone number, and the date you’re intending to move. A brief statement of the specific reasons for the proposed relocation of the child. A proposal for a new schedule for the child’s visitation, because you’re not going to be able to follow the old visitation anymore if you’re moving far away and the other parent was getting the child every weekend. A lot of times you have to change that, so you have to provide a newly revised schedule. And then you also need to provide a warning about the relocating. Then one other thing to keep in mind is that if you are relocating, the other party has 30 days to object to that relocation.

If you need help with this, or if you have any more questions, visit makelaweasy.com to speak with a Tulsa child custody lawyer.

"Make law easy!"