Tulsa Attorney BlogWhat Happens if You Don’t Follow Your Court Order in Oklahoma?

Ignore the Court Order at Your Own Risk

divorce lawyer in TulsaVideo Transcript: What happens if you don’t follow your court order? Hi, my name is Jason Sorenson. I’m an attorney in Tulsa, Oklahoma here at Wirth Law Office, and today we’re going to be talking about the consequences that you can face if you violate your parenting court order.

Let’s say you and the other parent have a court order where one of you has visitation rights and is required to pay child support along with exercising your visitation rights, and the other parent has the kid the majority of the time and has to make the child available during those times of visitation. What can happen to each of those parents if they violate their end of the bargain? Courts have the power to enforce child support and visitation.

If the non-custodial parent isn’t paying their child support, then they could face two different penalties or even both of them at the same time. One of them is up to six months jail time, and the other is a $500 fine. If you’re not paying your child support, those are two consequences that you could face. Those consequences don’t only apply to the non-custodial parent.

They can also apply to the custodial parent as well. If the custodial parent is denying the non-custodial parent’s visitation rights, that parent can also face the same consequences. There are some exceptions to when you do have the right to deny things like visitation, but I’ll discuss that in another video.

If you have any questions about this or you need some help in a custody dispute, you can visit us at makelaweasy.com to speak with an Oklahoma divorce attorney.

"Make law easy!"