Statute of Limitations in Oklahoma Child Support Collections

child support collections in OklahomaChild Support in Oklahoma

Everyone has a moral, ethical and legal obligation to support their children. And in Oklahoma, that obligation is taken seriously. This includes child support for the children of a divorced couple.

Past due child support must be paid. In Oklahoma, there is no statute of limitations for past due child support that has been ordered by a court. That means that a court’s order for child support remains enforceable. Okla. Stat. tit. 12 § 95

In order to remain enforceable, the court must have ordered the child support before the time that the child turns 18 years of age. That means that paternity must be established and support ordered by that time.

How is Child Support Enforced in Oklahoma?

Most often, delinquent child support payments in the state of Oklahoma are handled by garnishing the paying parent’s wages. Delinquent amounts are withheld from the delinquent parent’s paycheck until they are current in their payments again. This is called wage assignment.

In addition, the state of Oklahoma is often able to coordinate with federal agencies to withhold federal and state income tax returns when past due child support is not paid.

Professional and state licenses may be denied, driver’s licenses may be suspended, federal passports can be denied. A lien may be placed on any property owned by the delinquent parent.

A delinquent parent can also be held in contempt of court and jailed for failure to pay child support. This is often not the first tool used by courts to enforce payment, but it can be an effective deterrent.

Enforcement Across State Lines

Oklahoma has adopted the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFAS). If a court has ordered that a parent pay child support, that parent cannot escape that order by moving to another state. Child support orders and wage garnishment are available across state lines.

The Oklahoma state legislature has made it impossible to avoid paying past due child support once it has been ordered. If you have questions or concerns about this issue, bring them to a Tulsa child support attorney.

Free Consultation with a Tulsa Family Law Attorney

Wirth Law Office is here to help when you need it most. We offer a free consultation with an experienced divorce attorney Tulsa trusts.

Call 918-879-1681 for a free consultation or submit a question through this website.

"Make law easy!"