Tulsa Attorney BlogDo I Need UM or UIM Coverage in Oklahoma?

UM/UIM Coverage Can Benefit You if the Other Person Doesn’t Have Insurance


Tulsa personal injury lawyerVideo Transcribed: Do I need UM coverage or UIM coverage? Hey everyone. Christopher Stevens here, a certified paralegal with the Wirth Law Office in Oklahoma, specializing in personal injury law in Oklahoma.

Today we’re going to be discussing UM coverage in UIM coverage. Now we’ll start off by defining those. Those stand for uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage. And what that means is say you have a car wreck and the other person does significant damage to you, and it turns out either they didn’t have any insurance or the insurance they had wasn’t enough.

For example, I had one client with the firm previously who they were involved in a car wreck. They had about $115,000 in medical bills. The other person only had a $25,000 policy. This is where UM, and UIM coverage could kick in. If they had additional coverage, then what the UM and UIM coverage does is act as a gap filler. It steps up whenever the other person’s insurance isn’t covering the damages that you’ve sustained. Now, additionally, this can also include whenever the other person has no insurance, which is, unfortunately, the case for a lot of people in the state of Oklahoma.

Now, it is generally highly recommended that a person reaches out to their insurance agent on it. UM, and UIM coverage is most of the time one of the cheaper coverages you can get added to your car and it can save you a ton of heartache in the long run.

If you’ve found yourself to be the victim of a personal injury matter, feel free to contact us to speak with a Tulsa automobile accident lawyer. We can be found at wirthlawoffice.com and makelaweasy.com.

"Make law easy!"