Tulsa Attorney BlogHow Do I Get a Hold of the Tulsa Family Court Because My Ex Is Withholding My Child from Me?

Don’t Delay, Seek Legal Counsel Today


family law attorney in Tulsa, OKVideo Transcribed: How do I get a hold of the Tulsa family law court because my ex is withholding my child from me? I’m Oklahoma lawyer James Wirth, and that’s the question that we have. How do you get a hold of the Tulsa Family Law Court?

Well, first off, you can call down to the court. You’d want to call the court clerk’s office which is the main number that they can direct you to different divisions. That gets you to the court clerk where filings are done, not to the judge’s clerk who would be more over your case. However, you probably don’t want to be called either, and it would be a lot of circumstances improper to call the judge. I don’t know which judge you have, but the court clerk is the same, so you can call 918-596-5000 to get to the court clerk that can direct your call from there.

But, if the reason you’re calling is that your visitation is being disallowed by the other parent or they’re withholding the child from you, the court cannot give legal advice. They cannot make decisions based on one person calling without notice to the other person. So that phone call, if that’s your reason, is probably not going to go anywhere. Instead, you need to talk to an attorney and find out what the status of your case is, and the best way to handle that.

If you’ve got legal custody and the other parent is withholding, then you may want to file for a writ of habeas corpus. Communications with the court are done a certain way, and it’s usually not calling, it’s through motions. You want to file a motion or a petition for a writ of habeas corpus, file it with the court along with an order, and get that to the judge. Sometimes you get an ex parte hearing on those, meaning a hearing right away without notice to the other party. Sometimes the court will set that for a hearing to give notice to the other side.

But in any case, depending on your circumstances, there are likely proper procedures to go through in order to communicate properly with the court to try to get the results that you’re wanting. If you are trying to enforce an order or trying to get your child back, calling the court clerk is not going to help with that regard, call an attorney instead.

If you are dealing with this circumstance or a related family law issue in Oklahoma, you’re going to want to talk to an attorney about your specific circumstances and get legal advice from that person that is in person or over the phone, but at least it is one-on-one, not just through a video, so that you’ve got confidentiality and you can get specific information just for your circumstances. To get that scheduled with a Tulsa child custody attorney at my office and go online to makelaweasy.com.

"Make law easy!"