Tulsa Attorney BlogLost Your Job?: You May Be Entitled to Unemployment in Oklahoma

Navigating Oklahoma’s Unemployment System: What You Need to Know

Understanding Unemployment Benefits in Oklahoma

Lost your job? You may be entitled to unemployment. Hi, I’m Mayes County Attorney Lindsay McDowell with Wirth Law Office. You may be entitled to unemployment compensation if you’ve been laid off or terminated.

You need to make a request for unemployment benefits through the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission. Be sure to make that request quickly because it is not retroactive, meaning if you don’t file your request for unemployment until two weeks after you’ve been terminated, you don’t get to go back that first week. It’s only from the week that you file going forward.

Once you make a request for unemployment benefits, the commission will contact your employer to find out the reason for your separation from work. If the employer says that you quit or you were fired for a wrongful action, the commission will then decide whether or not you’re entitled to unemployment benefits.

Appealing a Denial of Unemployment Benefits

Once it comes down and if the commission denies your request for unemployment benefits, you are entitled to appeal. But this is very important. You must file your appeal for unemployment within 10 days of receiving notification of the commission’s denial. If the 10th day falls on a weekend or a holiday, you want to get that filed on the weekday before that date.

You are entitled to have an attorney represent you in the appeal hearing. This can be a crucial step that can make a huge difference in your case. The attorney will help you compile all the necessary documents and evidence to present your case in the best possible light.

Get the Help You Need Today

If you’ve lost your job and need help understanding your rights to unemployment benefits, we’re here to help. At Wirth Law Office, our experienced attorneys can guide you through the process and help you get the benefits you deserve.

Contact me, an unemployment lawyer in Oklahoma, at 918-879-1681 or at makelaweasy.com for a free consultation, and let us help you get your life back on track. We’re here to help.

"Make law easy!"